[EMAIL PROTECTED] scripsit:

> A fairer question to ask might be:
>
>          Would you have any objections if the Phoenician script were given
>          a separate encoding in the Unicode Standard as long as such an
>          encoding wouldn't interfere with your ability to continue
>          encoding texts as you please?
>
> (And to the last, I'd be tempted to add:  If so, what on Earth could those
> objections be?)

Expense.  Complication.  Delays while the encoding gets into the Standard
and thence into popular operating systems, with all the accoutrements
such as keyboard software.

--
All Norstrilians knew what laughter was:        John Cowan
it was "pleasurable corrigible malfunction".    http://www.reutershealth.com