At 09:42 -0700 2004-05-05, Peter Kirk wrote:

OK, then. That's what I did today. And to make sure that it wasn't my faulty handwriting, I used an actual image from the Shiloam inscription. They couldn't read it, they didn't know what it was. They were turning it around trying to decide which way was up. They thought they recognized some reversed letters (E and such, which were really hes), and one definitely saw a tet (which was actually a lamed). These are native speakers of Hebrew, mind, and they didn't know *which end of the letters goes up*.

That ethnic group good enough for you?

Thank you. Fine. This doesn't surprise me, actually.

Great. We knew it a priori. But now it is proved to you. -- Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com