Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

This sounds a lot like what is being proposed, modulo a name-change: we're working on a Samaritan proposal, Hebrew's already there, and Michael has proposed Old Canaanite, which for some reason he has chosen to call Phoenician. The name may be ill-chosen, and it isn't too late to change it, but it sounds like you're in general agreement with me and Peter Kirk.

Mark, are you sure that you and Peter are in general agreement? Peter seems to be opposing the encoding of Old Canaanite / Phoenician / Ancient North Semitic outright, while you and Dean seem to be supporting some kind of unified encoding for some subset of ancient Near-Eastern scripts separate from the existing Hebrew block. [On the question of Aramaic, the agreement seems closer.]

Today I received my long sought copy of Birnbaum's _The Hebrew Scripts_ (Brill, 1971), and immediately noted the following comments (vol.1 p.34)

        These documents*, which do not themselves come within
        the scope of Hebrew palaeography, are here given because
        they have been utilised for the dating of Palaeo-Hebrew
        material. In this procedure we are following the general
        practice of the Semitic palaeographers who have treated
        the scripts of Phoenicia, Palestine, Moab and Aram as a
        unity, i.e. North Semitic. For the early centuries there
        can be no objection to that. For these inscriptions show
        that any regional differentiation would as yet have been
        so slight as to be practically negligible. Hence they can
        serve to tell us how the Palaeo-Hebrew writing looked at
        a period from which we have no archaeologically datable
        Palaeo-Hebrew documents. That we are on safe ground here
        is corroborated by recent discoveries....
           To apply the term Phoenician to the script of the
        Hebrews is hardly suitable. I have therefore coined the
        term Palaeo-Hebrew.

*23 plates of inscriptions identified by Birnbaum as Phoenician, Aramaic and Moabite.

This text, along with this illustration from the second volume (figures 019 to 1)

        http://www.tiro.com/view/NorthSemitic.jpg

is instructive. It at once suggests the unification of ancient North Semitic scripts on the basis of 'practically negligible' differentiation, while at the same time inisting on the distinct identity of Palaeo-Hebrew even when, as the illustration shows, it is virtually identical to contemporary forms of the other scripts. Clearly, for Birnbaum, Hebrew palaeography is firstly the study of Jewish writing in the Hebrew language -- 'the script of the Hebrews' -- a priority that informs the distinction between Hebrew and 'Phoenician by any other name' similar to that manifested in Michael's proposal. At the same time, looking at the illustration, it is easy to see the point of the objections to the proposal. Birnbaum -- a palaeographer who can speak with confidence on the minute details that distinguish Palestinian from Egyptian forms of the maaravic style -- might make the distinction of his Palaeo-Hebrew from contemporary Phoenician, Moabite and Aramaic writing on visual grounds even if he did not intend to on ethnic grounds, but I doubt many other people could.

I offer this not in support of arguments for or against Michael's proposal, but to try to illustrate the basis of the disagreement.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often play against man, God says, but it is he who wants
  to lose, the idiot, and it is I who want him to win.
And I succeed sometimes
In making him win.
             - Charles Peguy