2004-07-14T19:20:35+03:00 Peter Kirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>For in Russian these dots are considered highly optional, and
>>>e with dots (pronounced o or yo - a spelling rule prescribes this
>>>instead of o after certain letters when stressed) is not a separate
>>>letter of the alphabet (contrast i kratkoe, Cyrillic i with breve, which
>>>is a fully separate letter from i).
>>>

>>That’s wrong, Peter. The letter «ё» is a separate letter. Please don’t
>>spread your wrong assumptions in the list.
>>
> I meant this in the sense that the two letters are interfiled in
> dictionaries, e.g.

> елейный
> ёлка
> еловый
> ёлочный
> ель

> At least this is the ordering in my Collins Russian dictionary, and I
> understand it to be the standard Russian ordering. Am I wrong here?

Not at all, though different dictionaries use different approaches.
common, it however doesn’t imply that one of these letters is not
a separate letter. There are two reasons for this kind of ordering:

so readers will tend to mix them.
2. The aren’t many words with initial «ё», so it's safe to file all

> By contrast, и and й are not interfiled.

I can’t see why you put these as an example. They are completely
different letters (vowel and consonant), notwithstanding their similar
look. One of my dictionaries have a section called «Ъ-Ь» which
Unlike «Е, Ё» section the entries are sorted alphabetically. Just like

Alexander
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/