Hi, Khaled, Arno, Andreas:

All the Arabic characters (consonants, hamzas, but not vowel diacritics or
numbers) that I need are betwee U621 (hamza) and 64A; there are vowel
diacritics that can be used immediately following these and then the Arabic
numbers.  (Would any of these look-alikes be security issues?  Both these
characters are allowed in IDN's; see:

http://unicode.org/reports/tr36/idn-chars.html)

Thanks all.

Best,

C. E. Whitehead

cewcat...@hotmail.com

So I would concur with Khaled and Arno here that U649 is Arabic aleph maqsura (