On 11/14/2010 12:57 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
Jim Monty <jim dot monty at yahoo dot com> wrote:

Japanese kana (the "J" in "CJK") and Korean syllables (the "K" in "CJK") both have different normalization forms. What do ideographs have to do with anything? I didn't mention ideographs; you did.

The term "CJK" is often used to refer to those characters which are common to Chinese and Japanese and Korean, viz. the ideographic characters.

Doug,

you might want to talk to the author of UTN#14 then, because he seems to be using the term "CJK text" in a sense that I find indistinguishable from the way Jim did.

Any relation of yours?

:)

A./

PS: I too think that replacing the "CJK text" with "Katakana and Hangul" as a more specific choice, would have been an improvement- as written it makes the problem sound more open-ended than it is. But you guys are arguing about an E-mail subject line, of all things....