> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 23:27:02 -0800
> From: David Starner <prosfil...@gmail.com>
> Cc: naenag...@gmail.com, unicode@unicode.org
>
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> It's not standards compliant. If it doesn't work on IE, and sometimes
> >> doesn't work on Firefox, then it hardly qualifies as a solution in my
> >> book, especially as I'm getting "nivahal heøa" as the label on its tag
> >
> > FWIW, the latest Firefox 8 has no problems displaying that page,
> > including the labels on the tabs.
>
> I'm running Iceweasel 8, and it displays the tabs as Latin. I would
> consider it a bug to do otherwise; the font on those tabs should be
> under my control.

It _is_ under your control.  But what do you expect to happen if you
select a font that doesn't cover the characters on the page, or force
the browser to use an encoding different from what the page author
intended?  Selecting a font that cannot handle the tricks played by
that page is no different.