On 11/07/2012 02:08 PM, Christoph Päper wrote:
Jörg Knappen:
The reason is that I just was trying to show the rating on a webpage
using the popular of 1 to 5 starts including half-coloured starts just using
UNicode characters.

BLACK AND WHITE STAR
WHITE AND BLACK STAR
In Dingbats, characters are mostly coded for their appearance, i.e. like you
suggest. Would it be more useful to have some or all of the following, in a
more semantic block?

We don't encode "it would be nice/useful." We encode *characters*, glyphs that people use (yes, I know I conflated glyphs and characters there.) There are many rating systems out there, yes, but we also don't have to please everyone. I think half-stars see enough in-print usage to make them worth considering, as characters, not as "ratings." Unicode isn't a system for encoding ratings. It's a system for encoding what people write and print.

~mark