Am 30.01.2013 um 12:56 schrieb William_J_G Overington:

> I feel that it would be helpful if there were symbols that could be used in a
> non-language-specific manner for phrases such as "Hello" and "Thank you" and
> "Best regards," and so on.

But there are, plenty of it. Though not yet for the phrases you mention.
We have ! and ? and even !!! and !?, and also :-) and the like. And of course
we have ❀ ✓ ♥ ⚭⛺⛴✗ and so on.
Most ideographs in use are pictographs, for obvious reasons. But it would be
nice indeed to have ideograms for “thanks”, “please”, “yes”, “no”, “perhaps” –
all those common notions which cannot be de-*picted* in the true sense of the
word.

This is a vision. Or a project. Hand gestures could perhaps be a starting point.

–* Andreas Stötzner.

–*   “best regards” – ?

Andreas Stötzner
Gestaltung Signographie Fontentwicklung