David,
The documentation in the programming book is wrong by one parameter for
the open(). Look at: ./uni/lib/db.icn for the full form.

This file, if linked, will allow a 4-parameter call through the dbopen
call:

procedure dbopen(dsn,table,user,password)
    return open(dsn,"o",table,user,password)
end

Phillip