On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Ian Kent <ra...@themaw.net> wrote:

[...]
> > So, following the instructions here:
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel,  I did the following:
> >
> > 1. Added the patch ( unionfs-2.4_for_2.6.18-RHEL5.diff ) to
> > ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES, and referenced it in
> > ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec .
> >
> > 2.Turned off the KABI check and provided a new buildid in the
> > kernel-2.6.spec in ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
> >
> > 3. Build using rpmbuild -bb --target=`uname -m` --with baseonly
> > kernel-2.6.spec
>
> Right, but I didn't seem to be able to disable the kabichk either on the
> command line or in the spec file itself, a bit odd.

For disabling the kabi check, I followed the instructions given in CentOS
HowTo verbatim:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel, Section 3 (Modifying the kernel
spec file) .

> But, lets not forget that if you use these rpms later some time and you
> have another third party module on the machine that relies on this kabi
> function then it will break and you will probably have forgotten the
> kabi issue by then, caught!!! It's best to at least maintain the kabi in
> the RHEL kernel if possible.

Correct.
Even if I try to spin a custom kernel ( and thereby forgo the kabi ), it may
well not work !

Is it possible to apply the unionfs patch to RHEL kernel, without breaking
the ABI - I guess not !

> > and the build went fine. I haven't yet tried the new kernel and
> > module, but Erez mentioned in one of the messages about XATTR support
> > in unionfs thus:
> >
> > http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pipermail/unionfs/2008-May/005849.html
> >
> > >Andy, there's no xattr support in unionfs for 2.6.18 (the VFS was
> > lacking
> > >some vital support, I don't recommend it).  So plz turn off
> > >CONFIG_UNION_FS_XATTR.
> >
> > However, Without the CONFIG_UNION_FS_XATTR=y insertion into spec file,
> > the build fails !!
> >
> > Hence I'm wondering whether will this workaround work ? And do we have
> > a solution to this issue already, which I may have missed ?
>
> Have to wait a while and see if I can build it I guess.
>
> Ian

Tried the new kernel... its kernel panic !
I sensed that unionfs design is in conflict with the VFS layer, is that
issue resolved ?