In a message dated 2/24/2007 1:13:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

who are we to say "your  store will make more money somewhere else, so we're
going to oppose your  leasing this space" and, even more importantly, why
should the current  property owner be forced to suffer financially by not being
allowed to rent to  a tenant s/he's (presumably) wooed and perhaps spent
considerable time and  money on? should they be forced to eat the cost of six
or
eight month's  non-paid rent while they search out a new occupant for the
building?

and, if this is not the case and neighbors _do_ have the  right to have our
fingers in the rental pies of property owners, how can I  turn this into making
the @[EMAIL PROTECTED] people next door replace the  porch railing they made
out of 2x4's
with something more aesthetic and get rid  of that vinyl siding? which has
long been my main  goal.

As usual, you miss the point. I can only surmise that you do it  deliberately
to get a discussion off track and spare the solid citizens of  University
City the bother of waking up their "little grey cells" to grapple  with real
issues.

The point being that when there's a need for a zoning change, it becomes a
matter of public involvement. So the owner can rent to whoever he or she wants
that doesn't require action by the Zoning Board without any of this.
Likewise,  for permits to make certain changes to their buildings. Further, any
owner
of  commercial property who courts a potential tenant that will require a
zoning  change should know the hassles that will be involved and the very real
possibility that it will be opposed and rejected. Dan DeRitis, who the DP
called
 the "developer" of the property in question (officially, it's owned by the
42nd  & Walnut Street Corp which may or may not be Danny) is not exactly a babe
in  the woods on thses sorts of issues so none of this will be a surprise to
him.

Always at  your service & ready for a dialog ® brand 35-year resident &
housing  provider
Al Krigman

http://www.aol.com.