I wish somebody would be wry and amusing.    :-(
-Mariellen

At 05:18 PM 9/18/2007, UNIVERSITY*CITOYEN wrote:
Mariellen Smith wrote:
Gosh, this has been super interesting. Maybe we could make a listserv for people to discuss the listserv itself. It would be a great place to debate the merits of the listserv, discuss listserv philosophy, explore the fascinating nuances of e-manners, and gossip about other listservs. If my inbox is any indicator, I'm sure this would be a busy and successful list.

I know you're trying to be wry and amusing here or whatever, and I appreciate that, but, if we think about it, isn't 'discussing' what's published -- whether in print or online -- pretty much what's always been done? normally? publicly?

just because we may happen to be the ones actually creating the content, having the conversation, doesn't mean we can't also discuss creating content or talk about having conversations. also, quoting another listserv or talking about what's posted on another website isn't gossip or bad manners, any more than quoting a newspaper or a teevee show, nor does it take any special philosophy or etiquette.

for example, when glenn writes about kyle's list, about list gangs and penn-branded lists, and how kyle 'pre-banned' glenn from taking part in kyle's list, I can point out (with urls) how melani lamond and ross bender were posting to kyle's list before kyle ever announced it here on uclist on july 28. so in addition to 'pre-banning' there was 'pre-enlisting'. here's how that went [and anyone is free to publicly comment on it]:

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000001.html
   Richard Cardona
   Fri Jul 27

   ***

   Richard Cardona
   Director for Information Technology
   Annenberg School for Communication
   University of Pennsylvania
   (215) 898-9614

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000002.html
   Kyle Cassidy
   Fri Jul 27

   Testing...

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000004.html
   Ross Bender
   Fri Jul 27

   OK, let's see what happens.

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000005.html
   Kyle Cassidy
   Fri Jul 27

   excellent. welcome aboard. we'll see how this goes for a
   few days. once more people get on, i'll experiment with
   forced moderation. the cool thing about this software
   is that i can pre-ban glenn!

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000006.html
   Melani Lamond
   Fri Jul 27

   I'm in the Poconos, hoping to be sending the first email
   to Kyle's new listserv - but there may be no one on the
   list yet to receive it.  Thanks, Kyle, and I look forward
   to a productive, friendly, helpful list. We may be able
   to DOUBLE the number of members the UC List has had, and
   multiply the number of people willing to actually speak
   up by a huge number, and really have a great
   communication system for our neighborhood.

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000007.html
   Melani Lamond
   Fri Jul 27

     kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu writes:
     > the cool thing about this software is that i can
     > pre-ban glenn!

   This will be heaven. But, I hope he doesn't know where
   you live.

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000008.html
   Kyle Cassidy
   Fri Jul 27

   there are three of us on it now.  there are only 300
   people on the uc list. i don't think 600 would be
   difficult to get.

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000009.html
   Ross Bender
   Fri Jul 27

   Actually, 370 as of today. Impossible to tell how many
   of those subscriber addresses are still active.

http://lists.asc.upenn.edu/pipermail/ucneighbors/2007-July/000010.html
   Kyle Cassidy
   Fri Jul 27

   it's such a nearly non-existent slice of this
   neighborhood. 370 people. at least all the cranks are
   isolated.

- - - - - - -

the problem with that last remark (besides its rudeness) is that there is no such thing as being 'isolated' in the public square. uclist and kyle's list are both publicly accessible, and participation in both is subject to public scrutiny and public commentary.

UNIVERSITY*CITOYEN
[aka laserbeam®]
[aka ray]
SERIAL LIAR. CALL FOR RATES.
  "It is very clear on this listserve who
   these people are. Ray has admitted being
   connected to this forger."  -- Tony West
  "Ray's falsehoods are more sophisticated,
   more believable" -- Tony West