In a message dated 10/5/2007 7:30:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Doesn't this also mean that we also have to remember that  non-joiners are
not the superior group of citizens either; they don't have the  greater right
berate joiners and the groups they join?

This is a good point. Writ even larger, it's at the heart of the much
broader debate about individual vs group rights -- as in things like
affirmative
action and discrimination in housing. American society is based on the rights
of
 individuals. My personal belief is that the individual neither  gains nor
loses rights by being a member of a group.

I was afraid that without organizations to help them out, the  citizens who
take these projects on would, like me, eventually get tired and  "retire."

The crux of the problem I have with many organizations is that they have an
effect disproportionate to their actual numbers in the community they purport
to  serve. When their involvement goes beyond things that affect only
themselves,  they tend to assume the mantle of the anointed and make decisions
that
affect  others without ascertaining and allowing for what those others need or
want.  This was the case with SHCA and UCHS and the historic designation issue.
And  it's at the heart of the widespread opposition to  what many think is
UCD's social engineering and it's NID initiative.

Always at  your service & ready for a dialog,
Al Krigman -- 36-year local resident  and activist but (in general) non-joiner