In a message dated 12/5/2008 9:40:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

     On this past Tuesday, the day before our trash  was collected, a trash
violation ticket was issued to my property at 8:45 am,  stating that cans were
on the sidewalk.  There was nothing out there  then, nor was there any trash
on the sidewalk for any  neighboring properties.   I put my trash out after 9
pm that  evening.  I plan to contest this ticket.

     Has anyone else received any undeserved trash  violation tickets
recently?  Did you contest it?  What  happened?

     I wonder if someone has to meet some ticket  quota and writes tickets
for properties chosen at random.  What do you  think?

They've been ticketing like there's no tomorrow.

Check the handwritten scrawl on your ticket. They may check-off something
about trash on the sidewalk, then write in something about trash on premises --

such that the ticket was for an overflowing trash can in your alley.

You can probably contest it and get off the fine. But going down to the
Tomas de Torquemada Center in town, sitting around, pleading in front of
someone
whose job it is to increase the revenues for the city from any source
whatever,  etc may not be worth the time, anguish, etc.

We had a number of these "trash on premises" violations -- all on Monday
mornings before the start of the work day so whatever the tenants did over the
weekend couldn't be tidied up (see the pattern?). Our remedies are:
    1.  We bag all trash and move it to the back of the alley last thing on
Friday  (including recyclables, which we put in clear plastic bags) -- leaving
the  receptacles empty at the start of the weekend.
    2.  We're planning -- haven't had a chance to do it yet -- to put gated
fences  across all of our alleys (with permission of owners of adjacent
buildings when  this is the situation).
Al Krigman