I got a trash citation some years back.  I received it 6 MONTHS after the
date of the
alleged violation. I did not deserve the citation, but I could not figure
out how to contest it.
How can you prove what conditions were like 6 months previously. I paid it.

Last summer I got a ticket for high weeds and ivy obstructing the sidewalk.
No such
conditions were in front of my place.  They were abundantly present on a
neighbor's
section of the sidewalk.  Did the person (name was not legible) just write
down the wrong house number?

This time around I decided to contest.  The hearing was finally scheduled on
Nov. 25.
I went to the assigned area in the old Land Title Bldg.  The waiting rooms
were packed.
After I had been seated a while, one of the clerks mentioned to us that the
computer
had by error (error? I wonder!) assigned an extra 100 people for hearings
that morning. It
seemed obvious that I would be waiting many long hours to get my hearing.  I
asked
if I could reschedule, and I was told they would get back to me with a new
hearing
date.  When?  Who knows.

One has the impression that the system is set up to wear people down so
that,
even if the fine is undeserved, they pay it just to stop the hassles.

No office that I have contacted has been able to help me, even though the
fine was
clearly not warranted by conditions on my section of the sidewalk.  I have
photos
and witnesses to back up my defense and to show that the conditions were in
front of a neighboring house.

When these things happen, moving to a community where city offices are set
up
to help rather than harass the local citizens looks appealing!

Ann