From:  Linda Lee <l...@verizon.net>
Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:27:48 -0500
To:  UnivCity listserv <UnivCity@list.purple.com>
Subject:  [UC] fwd: "The kindergarten queue" (from Westphillylocal.com)

This is interesting/crazy...
LL

The kindergarten queue
<http://www.westphillylocal.com/2011/01/25/the-kindergarten-queue/>
We¹re not sure whether to laugh or cry after this ABC6 story about parents
braving frigid temps to get their kids into Penn Alexander¹s kindergarten,
which is capped at 50 students. We¹re happy that such a school exists (full
disclosure: we have a child there) and that parents care so much about their
child¹s education, but we¹re sad that they are so scared of the alternatives
that they feel they have to sleep outside on the coldest night of the year
to get in.
This kind of stand-in-line, first-come-first-serve enrollment system
obviously isn¹t sustainable. Penn Alexander, which prides itself on small
classes, is filling up quick in the lower grades as parents move to the
neighborhood (some before they even have children) looking for the Holy
Grail of a nice urban neighborhood and a good public school.
see ABC local news video here:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7916203