In a message dated 1/27/2011 10:28:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
l...@verizon.net writes:

We’re  not sure whether to laugh or cry after this ABC6 story about parents
braving  frigid temps to get their kids into Penn Alexander’s kindergarten,
which is  capped at 50 students. We’re happy that such a school exists
(full disclosure:  we have a child there) and that parents care so much about
their child’s  education, but we’re sad that they are so scared of the
alternatives that they  feel they have to sleep outside on the coldest night of
the year to get  in.
This  kind of stand-in-line, first-come-first-serve enrollment system
obviously  isn’t sustainable. Penn Alexander, which prides itself on small
classes, is  filling up quick in the lower grades as parents move to the
neighborhood (some  before they even have children) looking for the Holy Grail
of a
nice urban  neighborhood and a good public school.

What makes matters worse is that, if you don't make it for your kid into
the first 50, the Lea and Powell schools tell you you're not in their
catchment  areas so the best they'll do is put you at the end of their lists in
case they  have some empty spaces.

Maybe... oh, this might be too much to ask... the School District could
estimate how many kindergarten-age kids they have and figure out how to
accommodate them. Or, is Ms Ackerman too busy counting her bonus money and
collecting business cards from noncompetitively-priced contractors to worry
about trivia such as educating children whose parents actually want them to get

educations?

Alan Krigman
KRF Management, ICON/Information Concepts  Inc
211 S 45th St, Philadelphia PA 19104-2918
215-349-6500, fax  215-349-6502
krf...@aol.com or  al.krig...@krf.icodat.com