Changing to the Sun implementation of Java seems to help somewhat; I
thank you for that suggestion. I can't use javaws because I'm running
Ubuntu 64-bit and Java Web Start services are only included in the
32-bit version.

Running the prior command, /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
-Dserver=127.0.0.1 -Dskins=headless -jar
/usr/share/squeezecenter/HTML/EN/html/softsqueeze/SoftSqueeze.jar, I'm
now getting an interesting error message:
Please include the SqueezeCenter address on the command line. e.g.
-Dslimserver=localhost

I've tried adding -Dsqueezecenter=[my host name], but the system hangs.
I tried using -Dslimcenter=[my host name] and I get the same hanging
result. I tried omitting -Dserver, and various combinations, all
without avail.

Help!

--
Dean L. Surkin