I run debian (almost) headless.  You sometimes need a keyboard and
display if things break and you have to run a rescue CD.  I normally
connect from another machine that has a X-server, but VNC is another
way to manage the box without a head.

One suggestion.  AFAIK, UFS is NOT a journalled file system.  You thus
risk serious loss on certain hardware failures, and very long restart
times after crashes (rare) or power failures (less rare).  If possible,
I'd convert (don't know if you can) or start from scratch with a
journalled file system.  EXT3 is the current vanilla journalled file
system for linux.

Also, I find it useful to put the OS on a rather small root partition
(say 8 gig).  Its then really easy to brute force back up the system.

--
Millwood

2 SB3, 1 Duet
Debian Etch server
2 AP (netgear, linksys) wireless network.