audiomuze wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, using DHCP makes me reliant on having a DHCP
> server up at all times, whereas currently I can just turn on those
> devices I want to work with and my switch and I know they'll see one
> another.

Yes, you really need two DHCP servers for a robust network. I run two,
one on my SqueezeBoxServer computer, and another on my firewall/DMZ to
the internet. Since I leave both of those computers on 24x7, it suits me
well.

> I learned yesterday that my ADSL router supports binding MACs to IPs,
> which would I guess give me one place to manage the lot, and presumably
> automatically provides gateway and DNS info, so this may be an option.

Which really says that your router implements a DHCP server. It is still
technically a single point of failure, but most homes have that, one
cable/fiber/DSL link to the 'net

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/