gharris999 wrote:
> Not having much Ubuntu experience, do any of you care to enlighten me
> as to it's pros and cons vis a vis Fedora/CentOS?

I'm not sure that there are a lot of real pros/cons. But I would
strongly suggest you look at a pure Debian installation, rather than
Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu on my laptop and desktop, but all of my servers are
Debian.

BTW: I always install the full GUI with the server, and then set the
init level after its fully working. I find that for some things, the GUI
is more accessible. The GUI software doesn't take up much disk space,
and has no runtime impact when the init-level is GUI free.

I prefer Debian because it does not change as often. I want my servers
to be set and forget. With the desktop oriented distros (mandriva,
ubuntu, etc.) they come out with new releases all the time, and support
new hardware (webcams, fancy mice, etc.) that have no place in my servers.

Its been years since I used RedHat/Fedora/CentOS heavily. Back then, the
RPM process was not as well done as the Debian "apt-get/Synaptic"
equivalent. Too often, I'd get into RPM interdependency hell. I have
never had that problem with Debian. Or at least not once in the 6+ years
of using Debian.

Ubuntu changes a lot of stuff every six months. They move menus, change
applications to do tasks, etc. I'm too much of an old dog, no new tricks
for me.

All IMHO, of course.

--
Pat Farrell