Thanks for your responses.

Full blown Debian seems a little scary to me.  Multiple DVDs to
install?  I can't torrent using my satellite ISP and my bandwidth is
limited to 16gigs monthly.  Also, my internet setup is flaky enough
that I would hesitate before doing a network install.  The fact that
Ubuntu server fits on a single CD iso is a plus for me.

So far, I have this to say in Ubuntu Server's favor:

1). Small install footprint.  With Fedora, inevitably I spend too much
time in Anaconda trying to figure out "Can I eliminate this?  Can I
eliminate that?"  I've yet to find a kickstart script that works for a
minimal Fedora install.  The "/" partition of this Ubuntu server, with
SBS 7.6 installed weighs in at around 1 gigabyte.  My Fedora 12 box is
six times as large and, again, I tried to be ruthless in paring things
down when I installed that F12 box.

2).  No GUI.  With all due deference to Pat, again, I spend too much
time when setting up a Fedora server tweaking the GUI even though I
know it will get used very rarely.  No GUI == no frittering.  And
presumably, installing X and Gnome after the fact is an option with
Ubuntu server, should I feel the need to do so.

3). Performance seems comparable to F12.  I'm pushing a fair number of
bytes over the network at a samba share I've set up on the Ubuntu
server.  Those bytes are ending up on a ntfs-3g mounted disk.  Even
though this Ubuntu server is on lower capacity hardware (itx atom
board) vs my "production" F12 box (itx Core2Duo board) the network xfer
to the Ubuntu box is slightly faster.

Cons (so far):

1). Firewall not enabled out-of-the-box.  Looks like I'm going to have
to learn about both UFW and AppArmor.  Lack of the firewall probably
explains the faster network transfer times.

--
gharris999