Thanks gorman.  :)

I've updated my repos with the code necessary to get it all working.
It's not finished by any means but it's certainly workable for anyone
who wants to play with it.  You can use the skin on a desktop PC just
fine, to get an idea.

I also have implemented the visualizations, below is a small video.

[image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qZnnsB5SM7U/1.jpg]
http://youtu.be/qZnnsB5SM7U

This also works on the PC with the WQVGA skin.  It doesn't use
PulseAudio anymore, it uses shared memory.  Someday I think I will get
the projectM visualizations working, some of you might remember
Milkdrop. http://projectm.sourceforge.net/

The big VFD display was calling me so I ordered one of those too!  I'm
not sure the best way to interface it, I might just write a driver for
the FTDI chip so it will be native USB, but this is a fair amount of
work.  The nice thing about this is that the hardware is already out
there, it simply needs wiring up.  I could also make a small circuit to
convert it to SPI.