JohnSwenson wrote:
> I was actually able to get all this to work on the wandboard. At first I
> could not get simple agent to work. It needed a whole bunch of
> libraries, and those libraries needed libraries etc.
>
> So I decided to try blueman. Now blueman is an X program, so I started
> up an xserver on another machine (I used puppy linux for that) did the
> xhost + thing and set its IP address in the DISPLAY variable on the
> wandboard. Then started blueman-applet on the wandboard and its graphic
> output showed up on the other machine! This was a piece of cake to get
> paired and connected from blueman.
>
> Then you have to setup the bluetooth plugin in ALSA. I don't have it
> right here with me, but what to put in your .asoundrc is in several
> places on the net. This worked. This generates an alsa device for the
> bluetooth device.
>
> A word of warning, this is a PCM NOT I repeat NOT a card!!! Thus it will
> not show up in aplay -l but WILL show up in aplay -L. When using the
> webgui to set the output device for squeezeplay it will show up in the
> very top of the list were the PCMs show up. Select that and it will
> actually play!
>
> In order to get it to work I had to setup the bluetooth PCM as a plug
> other wise there was some sort of mismatch and it wouldn't play. Triode
> can probably come up with a way to get around that.
>
> Another issue with the ALSA bluetooth plugin is that it has a huge
> latency, close to 2 seconds! It works and sounds pretty good on my
> Senheiser hedphones (I'm using a blueant ribbon, which has a 1/8" jack)
>
> After all that I decided to go back and revisit simple-agent and found
> that I only needed to yum in one more library to get it to work. With
> that it worked, I don't remember if I needed the pin or not. (I first
> unpaired with blueman) You can find out the status with hcitools.
>
> The one thing that kept on tripping me up is that none of this stuff
> works if the ribbon had turned itself off. If you turn it on and don't
> connect within a minute or two it shuts off to save power and there is
> no indication it is doing this. Fortunately if you have the headphones
> off it gives you different tones for turning on and off when you push
> the button. So I always had to push the button to change state in order
> to find out what state it was in! This is really only a problem when you
> are trying all kinds of different things, once it is paired and setup it
> will automatically connect when you turn it on.
>
> Unfortunately I don't remember what libraries I needed, I spent a couple
> weeks trying all kinds of different things and don't know precisely
> which of those is actually necessary.
>
> Part of the problem with all this is that there is a completely
> different setup and use pattern for direct to ALSA and for pulseaudio. A
> lot of the information out on the net is for setting up bluetooth with
> pulseaudio, (which BTW DOES work on the wandboard,  but  is just an
> [...]

I also tried the gui route - that failed totally as no devices ever
displayed.

What you do need is a asound.conf file in /etc  Mine has the following
content (you can ignore the device names, but you should get the idea:

  pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
  }

  ctl.dmixer {
  type hw
  card 0
  }

  pcm.BOOM {
  type plug
  slave {
  pcm {
  type bluetooth
  device macaddress
  profile "auto"
  }
  }

  hint {
  show on
  description "Bluetooth BOOM audio output device"
  }
  }

  ctl.BOOM {
  type bluetooth
  }

  pcm.WAVE {
  type plug
  slave {
  pcm {
  type bluetooth
  device mac-address
  profile "auto"
  }
  }

  hint {
  show on
  description "Bluetooth WAVE audio output device"
  }
  }

  ctl.WAVE {
  type bluetooth
  }

  pcm.TEST {
  type plug
  slave {
  pcm {
  type bluetooth
  device mac-address
  profile "auto"
  }
  }

  hint {
  show on
  description "Bluetooth TEST audio output device"
  }
  }

  ctl.TEST {
  type bluetooth
  }

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio
Logitech UE Smart Radio
Raspberry Pi + Squeezeplug LMS + Squeezelite - Logitech Mini Boombox
speaker
Cubieboard + Fedora 18 + LMS 7.8 + Squeezelite - Soundwave SW100
bluetooth speaker
O2 Joggler + SqpOS + Aune X2 T-amp + Mordaunt Short ms-3.40 speakers