Chluz wrote:
> Hi,
> I've had picoreplayer working flawlessly on a raspberry pi with
> TL-WN725N v2 wifi adapter, 4GB SD card from kingston and 1200mA power
> adapter.
>
> I then bought a new raspberry pi, with all the same hardware (the sd
> card came from a twin pack with the old).
> I'm having issues with wifi stability. This has occurred using both the
> peripherals from the old pi, and the ones from the new, so I'm pretty
> certain the problem comes from the pi board itself.
>
> Considering the flaky behavior I've been having, with the player being
> unable to sync, or simply dropping off the network (it seems to be OK
> playing songs on its own though), could it be possible that the two pi
> board have different hardware (they are both 512Mb B v2.0, but maybe
> different chip vendors) which is causing slight incompatibility with the
> wifi or usb driver ? I have also tried running raspbian on the board
> that is having issues, and that seemed to work fine.
>
> Perhaps a new kernel version on the picoreplayer would help
>
> Any insight welcome :)

Hi Chluz,

Using a USB WIFI on a RPi Model B you would be recommended to use a
powered USB hub. These kind of problems are usually blamed on marginal
power supplies. Check the voltage TP1 and TP2. Refer to the Raspberry Pi
website for more details. There can be differences between RPi's. I have
noticed hot plugging a USB WIFI will normally cause a reboot of the
RPi.

The Model B+ has a revised power supply and should, I theory, behave
better. I am also using Steen's recommended USB WIFI with an aerial on
my main player.

You could swap the SD cards and see if the problem transfers with the
card. If one SD card proves to be a little flaky, I would start from a
fresh install of piCorePlayer. One of the great things about
piCorePlayer is it takes only 30 seconds to burn a new image onto the SD
card and it only takes a minute to reset the configuration.

I my house, the microwave oven causes issues with wifi. This is
noticeable on the RPi's and all SB models. I have also had interference
from my neighbours "new" wifi routers requiring me to choose a different
channel.

regards