Chluz wrote:
> Well I've just ordered the Edimax EW-7811Un, which should have a realtek
> adapter instead of ralink. A lot of people have reported it working
> without a powered hub, some said it needed a hub. I'm hoping the ones
> who needed a hub had polyfuses before their usb outputs...
>
> In germany the B+ is about 10 euros more expensive than the B (25 vs 35
> €). I thought that the separate power supply to the audio section of the
> board would help with the static noise and ac/dc converter hums that you
> can sometimes hear, I didn't know switching regulators would have an
> impact on sound quality :(
> In any case thanks for all your help

I've now received the Edimax, and it seems to work fine now without the
usb hub.

So the conclusion of this is (its probably been said before but I'll
reiterate :) ):

- Not all raspberry pies are created equal, even when they are the same
model some might supply enough power to USB for the TP link WN725N wifi
adapter to work, others might not (and this does not seem to be
dependent on power supply)
- The Edimax ew-7811 needs less power than the TP link, and has a better
chance of working without a USB hub (tested on model B v2 only)

Thanks to everyone for their help.