Greg Erskine wrote:
> Hi Chluz,
>
> Using a USB WIFI on a RPi Model B you would be recommended to use a
> powered USB hub. These kind of problems are usually blamed on marginal
> power supplies. Check the voltage TP1 and TP2. Refer to the Raspberry Pi
> website for more details. There can be differences between RPi's. I have
> noticed hot plugging a USB WIFI will normally cause a reboot of the
> RPi.
>
> The Model B+ has a revised power supply and should, I theory, behave
> better. I am also using Steen's recommended USB WIFI with an aerial on
> my main player.
>
> You could swap the SD cards and see if the problem transfers with the
> card. If one SD card proves to be a little flaky, I would start from a
> fresh install of piCorePlayer. One of the great things about
> piCorePlayer is it takes only 30 seconds to burn a new image onto the SD
> card and it only takes a minute to reset the configuration.
>
> I my house, the microwave oven causes issues with wifi. This is
> noticeable on the RPi's and all SB models. I have also had interference
> from my neighbours "new" wifi routers requiring me to choose a different
> channel.
>
> regards

Ok, after testing with all my power adapters, both branded and
unbranded, the best I could get was 4.80 (with the power adapter I had
bought specifically for the pi and which works fine on the other pi as
well)
With that power adapter I still get wifi dropouts.

Using a USB powered hub does solve the issue, so thanks very much for
pointing that out Greg. However the one I'm using atm is huge for the
intended setup, so I would like to discuss what my options are:

- Buy a new wifi adapter that is less taxing on the board (gonna need
help figuring which one, maybe the all so popular edimax would do better
? );
- or buy the smallest powered hub I can find (suggestions welcome)
- or RMA the board and get a new one which hopefully will work the same
as the first one I got (which works fine without usb hub or different
wifi adapter, and is using exactly the same hardware)