SamS wrote:
> If you're using I2S, then getting a coax/optical SPDIF output via
> something like a HiFiBerry Digi/+ ....

I would say that is the exception to the rule. Most of the pi I2S boards
have a DAC chip on them. I2S straight into the DAC chip then analog
out.

Yes, if you have an external DAC that only has S/PDIF input then you
have to generate S/PDIF somehow. Or... you could also wire directly from
the RPi I2S to the DAC chip in your DAC.

As they are now combining lots of functions onto so-called "DAC" chips
there could be any number of solutions!!

regards
Greg