Greg Erskine wrote:

> I am a DIY guy, who plays with DIY DACs, so I am looking for the most
> straight forward solution from a design perspective. My comment was in
> relation to this goal.
>
> I am sure there are no issues with USB DACs, it's just a lot of extra
> "design" work when compared to a I2S solution on the Raspberry Pi.

By "'design' work", you mean software design?

Again, I may be wrong here, but shouldn't a class-compliant USB DAC
actually be less work? For many class-compliant USB DACs, you got
out-of-the-box support in the standard linux kernel made available by
Raspian and the like, not just in newer, but also in older kernel
versions. (I am aware picoreplayer is not based on Raspian). For a
Hifiberry, you may need to build your own kernel, as the default kernel
will generally be missing some modules unless you're using a very recent
kernel.