Hey thanks for Squeezy!
I was ready to dig out one of my old perl scripts and painfully process
the JSON commands I needed, but I had the good idea to check out what
squeezy was about, and it's great.
It has helped me a lot.

I wanted (among other things) to reset a group of players and start them
as a syncgroup via a crontab. Yes, alarms can do sort-of-that, but a
script is better in my case.
I am not using discovery at all in squeezy.conf, neither for server nor
players. I found out that "-sync" wasn't working in this case
(player->{$pid} is not created at startup). Here is my patch (against
squeezy current, AFAIK):
    diff ./squeezy /home/admin/squeezy-master/squeezy
  309,310d308
  < #JPM
  <         if ( $#arg == 4 ) { push @{$group[$arg[1]]}, { name=>$arg[2],
pid=>$arg[4] }; next; };
--------------------

In addition, a config file must look like this :
    grep '^player' /usr/local/bin/squeezy.conf
  playerdiscover no
  player 0 zipp 192.168.1.161 aa:aa:b5:31:46:62
  player 0 Berlin-Boombox 192.168.1.161 02:02:02:43:ef:99

Other things I missed:

-  Player "on" without actually starting: in the syncgroup if the
  leader starts and only after the other players are started, there is
  of rebuffering at start. I worked my way around by setting all players
  in the group to "-play 'playlistplay://clear'" and then starting them.
  Last, I load my chosen lead player with an actual playlist and the
  group takes off nicely.
-  FadeInSecs parameter in playlistplay: there is a "-sleep" command
  that fades out, I would have liked a "-wakeup" equivalent. I tried
  hacking another version of "-play" to handle something like
  "-fadein_play randomplay://tracks 120" but only got back "squeezy
  error: unknown argument (120)" and left it at that.

Again, thanks a lot for this utility. It works great and offers a great
balance of simplicity vs. features.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.