First, I am not running either Picoreplayer nor Max2Play, as I have
several servers running on my Pi 3+B with Raspbian stretch.  I did
install Squeezelite, and it is my only player.  I have a Hifiberry DAC+
card, and it does sound and work great.  However, when I use fade
in/fade out with LMS, I hear stuttering of the DAC+ as the volume
increases/decreases.  I wonder if there is some additional setting I
need in Squeezelite (maybe to set software volume control)?

My squeezelite setup is:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 -n
Musicbox -a 80:4::1

Also, if fade in/fade out is set in LMS player section, does it also
fade in and out of pausing and restarting a song (doesn't seem like it
does that).

Thanks for any suggestions.