marcoc1712 wrote:
> The problem here is that the wav header is missing or malformed in the
> stream. Daphile was the first to adopt R2 mods in order to read the
> header from the stream, as far as I Know  is identical to R2 in that
> matter,  but maybe Kimmo modified the code that investigate the header
> in order to handle DXD, could you please post the squeezelite LOG from
> inside Daphile?
>
> BTW, this time the Audio device is correctly opened at 32 bit 352800 hz.

I would love too however I am not sure how to do this. I just installed
a Beta version as only there you can access via ssh. I found a
squeezelite in /etc/bin but I am not sure how to get logfile from.
Sorry :-( Could you help again.

> Your discussion has moved on but I'd like to conclude the offshoot I
> started.
>
> I don't know DXD but I think I understand the underlying issue.
> DXD "hide" in a WAV file format - WAV is just a convenient format to
> hold the DXD datastream which can be used to trick LMS to send the DXD
> data stream content to a DAC unchanged.
> For that to happen LMS must think the destination player can support the
> file format.
> WAV files can hold samples in different formats fixed point PCM, IEEE
> Float, 8bit a-Law, 8bit mu-Law and extensible.
> LMS players only support fixed point PC and so will have difficulty with
> any non PCM format. Different sample size and sample rate can be handled
> by LMS
>
> You provided a dump of the file headers of two DXD 325kHz DXD files. As
> I understand it one plays and the other doesn't. Summary of the header
> analysis is as follows
>
> 2 ch, 352.8kHz, 32bits/sample, audio format of sample is IEEE Float :
> What-A-Wonderful-World_DXD352KHz_2chDXD.wav
> 2 ch, 352.8kHz, 24bits/sample, audio format of sample is PCM :
> a-fool-for-you-carmen-gomes-inc-dxd352khz.wav
>
> There is a "JUNK" chunk which has some data but is different for each
> file. This could be DXD related but AFAICT the data in JUNK is not
> passed by LMS or squeezelite to DAC so is ignored.
>
> To understand why the file is unplayable you need to determine whether
> the data in the unplayable file WAV fmt header is correct and the audio
> DXD data is really in 32 bit floating point and needs to be converted or
> whether the fmt file header is wrong and just the header needs to be
> corrected.
>
> What-A-Wonderful-World_DXD352KHz_2chDXD.wav

Thanks a lot for all this very useful and detailed information :-)
Hoenestly I do not understand everything but a few things a now much
clearer. I also investigated my soundcards (Both DACS iNANO and DIY)

  server:~/programs$ aplay --dump-hw-params -D hw:4,0 -f cd /dev/zero
  Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
  HW Params of device "hw:4,0":
  --------------------
  ACCESS:  MMAP_INTERLEAVED RW_INTERLEAVED
  FORMAT:  S16_LE S32_LE SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE
  SUBFORMAT:  STD
  SAMPLE_BITS: [16 32]
  FRAME_BITS: [32 64]
  CHANNELS: 2
  RATE: [44100 768000]
  PERIOD_TIME: [125 2972155)
  PERIOD_SIZE: [8 131072]
  PERIOD_BYTES: [64 524288]
  PERIODS: [2 1024]
  BUFFER_TIME: (20 5944309)
  BUFFER_SIZE: [16 262144]
  BUFFER_BYTES: [64 1048576]
  TICK_TIME: ALL
  --------------------
  ^CAborted by signal Interrupt...
  server:~/programs$ aplay --dump-hw-params -D hw:3,0 -f cd /dev/zero
  Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
  HW Params of device "hw:3,0":
  --------------------
  ACCESS:  MMAP_INTERLEAVED RW_INTERLEAVED
  FORMAT:  S32_LE SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE
  SUBFORMAT:  STD
  SAMPLE_BITS: 32
  FRAME_BITS: 64
  CHANNELS: 2
  RATE: [44100 384000]
  PERIOD_TIME: [125 1486078)
  PERIOD_SIZE: [8 65536]
  PERIOD_BYTES: [64 524288]
  PERIODS: [2 1024]
  BUFFER_TIME: (41 2972155)
  BUFFER_SIZE: [16 131072]
  BUFFER_BYTES: [128 1048576]
  TICK_TIME: ALL
  aplay: set_params:1299: Sample format non available
  Available formats:
  - S32_LE
  - SPECIAL
  - DSD_U32_BE