Paul Webster wrote:
> Check the filesystem on the USB drive ... you might have to load
> additional support in pCP.
> https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_add_usb_hdd.shtml
>
> I suggest that you try with the USB stick first.
Thanks for all replies so far...

The post #1 shows I did install additional file support, from which I
rebooted pCP and then was able to Mount the drive.  Your link has extra
steps - and I am prepared to wipe the USB HDD and follow those and retry
later....

I just don't recall doing these steps when running a USB (powered from
RPi) HDD before.

I think I will order a RPi PSU and SD Card just to rule out the only
other differences between the troublesome unit and what I have done a
few times before.  It won't do any harm.