I'm using PiCorePlayer with a USB DAC. It works very well indeed.

The only issue I have is what happens if the USB DAC is not powered on
when PCP starts up. In this case squeezelite fails to start because the
specified output device is not available. So it needs some manual
intervention to get it to work again.

Before I used PCP I had a trivial script that waited for the USB DAC to
be available before properly starting squeezelite, as follows.   Is
there a way I can do something like this with the existing PCP
customization options ? Or if I need to hack it in somewhere by hand,
any suggestions as to the best place ?

    #!/bin/bash

  while true
  do
  # see if USB DAC is available yet
  if ~pi/squeezelite-armv6hf -l | grep -ql "Anti"
  then  # it is
  ~pi/squeezelite-armv6hf -s 192.168.0.4 -n "Lounge RPi"
  else # keep waiting
  sleep 1
  fi
  done