I'm running a brand new burned image of PicorePlayer 5.0, standard
build, on a Pi 3B+.  It boots just fine.  I'm not connected to Ethernet
since I have no wired network connectivity by my stereo.

When I run setup and enter the correct wifi setup info - including all
correct case letters - and set the authentication as WPA, it doesn't
connect after I exit setup.  If I ping 8.8.8.8, it gives no route to the
host.  If I reboot, it searches for the network and finds nothing.  When
I run setup, none of the information has been saved - wifi is on but no
info is populated for the SSID, password, or authentication type.  If I
repeat setting up wifi and back up the config, the situation persists.

What am I doing incorrectly here?  I've got WPA2-Personal set up for the
encryption on the networks from my router, and I'd much rather keep it
to WPA2 rather than roll down to WPA.