ralphy wrote:
> You need to use the Makefile.linux-pulse file.
Of course, stupid me!

ralphy wrote:

> Pre build steps and requirements are at the top.
>
> Cleanup the i386 alsa build first if building in the same source tree.
>
> make -f Makefile.linux clean
>
> Also, use PulseAudioHostAPI*multi* branch in the git checkout instead of
> PulseAudioHostAPI.
>
> The pulseaudio support in portaudio is still rough around the edges and
> does segfault if you do not have at least 1 pulseaudio device available
> at runtime.

Thanks, this is useful to know when/if I decide to try.

Since I suspected the instability I saw may be due to using the ALSA
version with pulseaudio I have removed pulseaudio as a first step.
Result: jive_alsa doesn't crash anymore. But there's a downside: Now
jive_alsa uses 20% CPU constantly, no matter if playing or idle. I can't
seem to find a combination that idles (that's what it will spend most of
it's time doing) with acceptable CPU usage... I'll try squeezelite next.