Went on to try Jivelite + Squeezelite. Squeezelite uses by far the most
CPU when playing but that's okay. I can get it to idle with negligible
CPU usage by using the -C option.

But I have issues with my build of Jivelite:

When using the power button in the top left corner of the home screen to
turn the player off there is no way to turn it on again. Jivelite
doesn't react to mouse clicks or key presses anymore. The only way out
is turning on the player remotely on the server. Squeezeplay doesn't do
this. Can Jivelite be set up to behave the same as SqueezePlay?

Also, in power management of the PC the display is set to turn off a
after period of inactivity but this never happens. Even with Jivelite in
the off-state and Jivelite screen saver set to blank the screen the
display backlight always remains on. Is there anything I can do to
change this?

I guess what I need is a combination of jive as in SqueezePlay +
Squeezelite. Can this be achieved somehow?