I'm also experimenting with Dockerising LMS and, like kidhazy, I've
based mine on the Doliana Dockerfile. This one is itself based on
earlier work by several other people and seems fairly comprehensive. I'd
expect basing anything new on existing work must be a better option than
starting from scratch.

Reading through this thread, there's been some discussion about how
things are best achieved in the Docker world and the efficiency of
rebuilding images. I'm far from an expert, but I can share a couple of
observations.

I agree with epoch1970: images are supposed to be immutable and if
you're doing updates in the container, you're not doing it the "docker
way". Because image immutability is one of the goals of Docker, the
process for creating an updated image is streamlined as much as it can
be and where possible, steps are cached. I can recreate the arm image
from the Dockerfile with an updated LMS in a minute or so on a Pi and it
doesn't take appreciably longer if all the cached layers are
invalidated.

The Doliana image is based on a small (20MB) official Debian image,
which is not quite 'Alpine' small, but pretty good, and already includes
Perl. After that, only a small number of additional components are
installed along with the LMS .deb nightly. The container I created
yesterday comes in at 283MB.

That said, I am having some teething issues. One is definitely unrelated
to anything in Doliana (I want to use Shairport 2W and its internal mDNS
server is conflicting with avahi running on my host) and I'm not sure
about the other one... I don't want to hijack this thread (I'll start
another one with proper details if I can't sort it out), but if anyone
has come across a problem where Squeezelite gets a buffer underrun after
a track has been playing for about 8 minutes, causing the server to
pause playback for about 20 secs, I'd be keen to know! (There is no
apparent change in cpu or memory activity, they stays pretty low; the
slimproto heartbeat signals between the client and server continue
throughout the pause.)