I think I have found a fairly elegant way now that seems to work for me
(not sure if it is "correct")

- installed the latest stable container from scratch and configured
  it. Besides the volume mappings for /music and /playlists I added a
  mapping /config pointing to Volume1/Public/Docker/LMS. LMS then places
  its configuration files there
- exported a backup to Volume1/Public/Docker/LMS
- stopped and deleted the LMS stable container in Docker in order to
  test the new install process
- imported the configuration file from Volume1/Public/Docker/LMS. This
  created a container from the LMS stable image in the Docker image
  store
- started the new container. The new container now has all the port
  configurations and volume mappings. With the volume map for /config,
  it gets its LMS config details from Volume1/Public/Docker/LMS. This
  includes all the LMS settings incl. plugins
- to update the container, I simply download the latest stable image
  und run this process from point 3 onwards

Does this sound ok?

- Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.0 on Synology DS1815+ DSM 6 /
  Docker
-  SB Touch (2x)