That's made a lot of difference!
It seems to have the same effect as using --nostop. But I'd have to do
all the same procedures in --nostop to check.

Starting with
Dac on - sqlite showing working in pcp web and default /material / apps
Dac off - now shows Not running in pcp web, BUT now shows working in
default /material,
I can still operate the sqlite player from jivelite or material, I can
switch it on and off and jivelite display reacts as expected.
Other players that are synced to the sqlite player that is still on now
pause ever minute or so like when using --nostop. If I soft off the
sqlite the pausing seems to go away.
Dac On - Music starts so it's running - pcp continues to show not
running - default shows it's running and connected.

This may be of interest - after the above now that pcp web shows not
running but it is, if I click restart squeezlite from pcp web main page
I get this -

Restarting Squeezelite
[ INFO ] Squeezelite is not running.

[ INFO ] Starting Squeezelite player: Squeezelite...

[ ERROR ] Squeezelite not running.