BiBer3 wrote:
> Hope to find some help here.
>
> I have a freshly assembled "piTouch" using PI3B with official touch
> screen.
>
> Connecting it to TEAC UD-501 from PI on board USB via good quality USB
> cable.
> Audio output device settings set to USB audio, Output setting to
> "front:CARD=UD501,DEV=0", ALSA setting to " 80  4 nothing 1 nothing".
> Other setting unchanged from default. Wired network.
>
> TEAC is receiving and playing the data, but i get clicks, pops, dropouts
> even with 44.1/16 material :(
>
> Tried 64bit Picoreplayer, now on 32bit, tried different output settings,
> different USB cables, went from 64bit to 32bit, problem still persists.
>
> My old Squeezebox Touch with EDO plugin connected to same Squeezeserver
> via same switch can play material up to 192/24 via SPDIF and toslink
> without any issues at all, so it's unlikely a network issue I believe.
>
> Any suggestions regarding the USB output setting for TEAC or how to
> approach this to find the root cause?

After some fiddling with settings it seems I solved the clicks problem,
thanks you all who participated!
Tested since a couple of days with PCM up to 192 and DSD64 (DoP) and
haven't noticed any problems so far.

So here are my setting to run TEAC UD-501 via USB from PI3B, might be
useful for somebody with same PI/DAC combo:

Output setting hw:CARD=UD501,DEV=0
ALSA setting 160:4::1:
Buffer size settings 20000:60000
Device supports DSD/DoP 250

250ms PCM to DSD delay was crucial to get correct click-free DSD
playback. Without this setting DAC surprisingly still plays, but
indicates the signal as PCM 352.8 and there are dropouts/clicks, with
the delay indication is DSD 2.8mhz