Muele wrote:
> Damned. Case sensitivity in the file system. I feel so stupid now.
>
> Edit: that and not knowing if the smb share (which maps deeper in the
> file structure) or the actual mount is used.

Non-native file systems are always mounted with single user write
permissions. When mounting a vfat file system as root you can specify
additional command line parameters to grant read/write access to other
users as well. See 'this page'
(https://superuser.com/questions/617777/how-do-i-auto-mount-a-usb-drive-that-all-users-can-write-to/617782#617782)
for info.

Beware of hints stating to use fstab to accomplish this. If the drive is
not attached during boot there is a chance that the system will stall on
the mountall phase and that is pretty annoying on a headless system
because this means that the ssh daemon will never be started and you
either need an alternative method to connect to the system (i.e. a
serial console) or boot a rescue system to access and delete the
conflicting line.