Yes, all of this.

I agree the in-situ privileged user edit-configuration use case is compelling.

I agree that there's an implementation detail wherein that CONFIG mode is going to have to actually write back to the portlet definition record -- and I kind of hope portlets *can't* just arbitrarily do that currently, that they need some framework help. But I haven't looked in any depth at how current CONFIG mode implementation actually works.

Sounds like yet another fine thing to look at together @ Camp next week. :)

Eric, you should so come.  You know, when you shake free from skiing.

Andrew