So CONFIG is baked into various framework bits so that the portal knows how
to make the portlet APIs behave when in this mode. As a protection I
believe there is a permission check associated with the ability to render a
portlet in CONFIG.

Give it a try, make CMS render a CONFIG portlet url, click on it and see
what happens :)

arch...@mail-archive.com