My immediate response is .... anything but video !!

I hate video - can't find things, no indexing, can't fast forward effectively over the bits I know or more-or-less know, need audio which doesn't always fit my surroundings, ....

But that doesn't mean video is without its advantages - sometimes it gets details across in a way that written methods fail with. Videos which are *short*, with really good external index/content description might be just the thing.

As for "book" - does that mean paper, ePub, PDF, or something better.  I would love to see a stack-based solution that gave quick, searchable, hyper-linked access to content that was also accessed in other ways. For example, I buy an e-book giving me a PDF plus a stack which allows me good access to the content (including updates, errata, new additions).

And I think you should consider a model of initial purchase with (cheap) on-going subscription, that would allow you an on-going revenue stream to keep the enhanced-book up-to-date and relevant.

And I think you could (depending on your content area) perhaps sell content which is sample apps. I would happily pay for a *realistic* iOS app - don't much care what it does, so long as it contains current techniques for building a real app - including using mobile widgets, etc. and comes with a full set of build instructions - i.e. it can't be a "Hello World" app, it must have reasonable set of features. Then I could take the app, follow the instructions - and hopefully get a successful build with fewer headaches. And that would be the ideal case for initial purchase + subscription because the instructions would evolve over time.

And if wanted to then build my own app, I would most likely do it as an offshoot from that working model. (Don't know how you work out licensing for that :-)

I suspect you could do similar for Android, a desktop + web combo, .... and find people who would get good value from buying that to give them a headstart on their own development. You'd need to find a balance of enough content to be a *real* app without soaking up too much development time.

Alex.