On 4/12/13 2:21 AM, Cal Horner wrote:
So, does this mean I can no longer use "Plug-ins" that I have paid good
money for in LC unless I shell out $500 for the commercial product? Or keep
using LC 5.5.4..

Correct, unless the plug-in developer also releases a GPL version of the plug-in. Many will.

What does this do for the plug-in market? Seems like another example of
shooting your own foot. How many creators will think about quitting LC
because of a dumb restriction like this?

Actually, the decision was based partly on strong feedback from the developers themselves early on. Being one of those, I strongly agree with the decision. The open source license requires that anything you distribute must also be completely open. One of my main products is Zygodact, which provides a registration system for apps. If I open source it, the password algorithm and security measures I use will be fully exposed and rendered worthless. There is no way I can do that, so Zygodact will never be open source. Since open source stacks virtually never require secure registration, I'm not shooting myself in the foot. But if you plan to create a commercial version of your software but are developing it in the community version before you purchase the commercial product, Zygodact will not work. It won't open and you won't be able to test your code with it until you run it in the commercial version.

Other plug-in authors simply do not want their hard work exposed and will opt to not release as open source. They will sell to the commercial market only. If you find that one of your plug-ins no longer works, contact the developer and see if they can resolve the problem. If not, then the situation is no different from software that has been discontinued. I can no longer use many of the software products I purchased years ago.

When I build something - anything I look for and use all the aids I can. Now
LC is trying to restrict me.

They have responded reasonably to the developers who do not want to expose their work. The commercial version of LiveCode will open locked stacks, but the source code is not available for review. The only way to actually see the security module code is to purchase a very expensive license that is far beyond the means of most people, and even then there are strong contracts involved.