Peter W A Wood wrote:

> After all, it looks to me that you cannot sell GPL licensed software
> through the Windows App Store....

I couldn't find anything definitive on that. I did find some older articles about Win8 licensing suggesting FOSS was prohibited, but I also found this one from 2011 that says the opposite:

   Windows 8 Store will allow open source apps,
   unlike iOS and Mac App Stores
    The section in question states that apps released under a license
    from the Open Source Initiative (GPL, Apache, etc.) can be
    distributed in the Windows Store. Further, it says that the OSI
    license will trump the Microsoft Standard Application License
    Terms, namely the the restriction on sharing applications.
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/108551-windows-8-store-will-allow-open-source-apps-unlike-ios-and-mac>

And that was back when Ballmer was still there. Since Nadella took the helm Microsoft has fallen in love with Linux, started moving their dev tools to open source, and is partnering with Ubuntu as a key component of their Azure cloud platform. (No, really, it's like hell froze over in a flock of flying pigs - the photo here is priceless, something no one ever expected for decades: <http://news.softpedia.com/news/CEO-Satya-Nadella-Microsoft-Loves-Linux-462754.shtml> )

Anyone have a definitive notice on this, preferably one from Microsoft themselves?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems