Mark Wieder wrote:

> On 03/03/2016 11:52 AM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>> Not sure about LC8, but up until now, I've used the cantSelect
>> property to create styled background regions on top of which
>> foreground objects can be selected.  One example is the checkerboard
>> pattern that's often used in graphics applications to indicate a
>> transparent background.  By enabling a control's cantSelect and
>> disabled properties, you can drag-select other objects on top of
>> that control without interacting with it.
>
> Cool. Thanks for the use cases, folks. Maybe cantSelect isn't as
> arcane as I had thought.

Ironically, drag-select is the exact use case that prompted me to STOP using cantSelect. I was working on a drawing pane and had an object covering the full space within the drawing region behind everything else I wanted to user to be able to interact with. My turning on the cantSelect for that larger object it no longer responds to the pointer tool, which is expected of course but makes drag-select impossible is the drag begins within that object.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems