Ian Wood wrote:

On 20 May 2010, at 18:08, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Blowing off the other 83.9% of the mobile market (Apple says they
have only 16.1%) just to appease His Steveness would have been
suicidal, so if that was the intent we can all be glad the proposal
was rejected.

16% of the market that make up half the mobile web traffic and (at
least back in January) an estimated 97% of all mobile app sales.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/apples-app-store-said-to-have-99-4-percent-of-all-mobile-app-sa/

I've not managed to find estimates that are more recent, but that's a
scary ratio for anyone hoping to make money from Android apps as an
alternative to the iPhone/iPad. :-(

The night is young. :)

That same Gartner report also notes:

82% of downloads will be free apps this year
<http://www.dailytech.com/Gartner+Predicts+62B+in+Mobile+App+Sales+for+2010/article17444.htm>

Other Gartner reports:

Gartner: Android outsold iPhone in the US
<http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/05/19/gartner.sees.android.passing.iphone.worldwide.soon/>

Android to overtake iPhone in 2012 - analyst
Symbian still on top, but BlackBerry down
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/09/android_2012_gartner/>

That said, if there's a case to be made that RunRev is on a fool's errand chasing the mobile market and should instead focus on their desktop product, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Most of my own mobile plans revolve around JavaScript, and aside from the top 100 apps in Apple's AppStore my desktop apps make far more than the other 200,000 iPhone apps out there, as I noted here on the 4th:
<http://mail.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2010-May/139105.html>

Computers will be around for a while. In fact, a desktop computer is listed as one of the system requirements for the iPad.

This new emerging mobile market offers many worthwhile opportunities to compliment deployment across many different computing devices. So much change is in the air I wouldn't bet the farm on any one device from any one manufacturer.

The night is young....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World